William Checkley, MD PhD
William Checkley, MD, PhD, is an Associate Professor of Medicine, International Health and Biostatistics at Johns Hopkins University. He is a pulmonary and critical care physician who focuses on obstructive lung diseases in low- and middle-income countries, including work on COPD and asthma. He is currently leading observational studies and randomized controlled trials to better understand the role of household air pollution on pulmonary and cardiovascular health outcomes. Dr. Checkley has worked in clinical research for more than 10 years in international settings including Peru, Bangladesh, Nepal, and Uganda. He has been an active participant in National Institutes of Health-supported networks focused on chronic diseases in low- and middle-income countries. He has demonstrated a strong commitment to chronic disease research and clinical research training, with 200 publications in peer-reviewed journals. He is Director of the Fogarty Global Health Fellowship at Johns Hopkins University and has mentored more than 85 U.S. and international trainees.
- Caravedo MA, Painschab MS, Davila-Roman VG, De Ferrari A, Gilman RH, Vasquez-Villar AD, Pollard SL, Miranda JJ, Checkley W;CRONICAS Cohort Study Group. Am Heart J 2014; in press.
- Klasen E, Miranda J, Khatry S, Menya D, Gilman RH, Tielsch JM, Kennedy C, Dreibelbis R, Naithani N, Kimaiyo S, Chiang M, Carter EJ, Sherman CB, Breysse PN, Checkley W. Feasibility intervention trial of two types of improved cookstoves in three resource-limited settings: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials 2013; 14:327.
- Pollard SL, Williams DA, Breysse PN, Baron PA, Grajeda LM, Gilman RH, Miranda JJ, Checkley W.A cross-sectional study of determinants of indoor environmental exposures in households with and without chronic exposure to biomass fuel smoke. Environ Health 2014;13(1):21.
- Painschab MS, Davila-Roman VG, Gilman RH, Vasquez-Villar AD, Pollard SL, Wise RA, Miranda JJ, Checkley W; CRONICAS Cohort Study Group. Chronic exposure to biomass fuel is associated with increased carotid artery intima-media thickness and a higher prevalence of atherosclerotic plaque. Heart 2013;99:984-91.
- Checkley W, Robinson CL, Baumann LM, Romero K, Combe JM, Gilman RH, Wise RA, Hamilton RG, Gonzalvez G, Cama V, Hansel NN; PURA study investigators. Effect of urbanization on the relation of total serum immunoglobulin E to asthma. Eur Respir Jin press 2012.
- McCracken JP, Wellenius GA, Bloomfield GS, Brook RD, Tolunay ES, Dockery DW, Rabadan-Diehl C, Checkley W, Rajagopalan S. Household Air Pollution from Solid Fuel Use: Evidence for Links to CVD. Global Heart 2012; 7: 223-234
- Diette GB, Accinelli R, Balmes J, Buist AS, Checkley W, Garbe P, Hansel NN, Kapil V, Gordon SB, Lagat D, Yip F, Mortimer K, Perez-Padilla R, Roth C, Schwaninger, Punturieri A, Kiley J. Obstructive Lung Disease And Exposure To Burning Biomass Fuel In The Indoor Environment. Global Heart 2012; 7: 265.
- Robinson CL, Baumann LM, Gilman RH, Romero K, Combe JM, Gomez A, Cabrera L, Gonzalvez G, Hansel NN, Wise RA, Breysse PN, Barnes K, Hernandez JE, Checkley W. Effects of varying degrees of urbanization on asthma, allergy and airways inflammation in a developing country setting. Thorax 2011;66:1051-7.
- Baumann LM, Robinson CL, Combe JM, Gomez A, Romero R, Gilman RH, Cabrera L, Hansel NN, Wise RA, Breysse PN, Barnes K, Hernandez JE, Checkley W. Effects of distance from a heavily transited avenue on asthma and atopy in a peri-urban shanty-town in Lima, Peru. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2011,127:875-82.
- Checkley W, West KP, Wise RA, Wu L, LeClerq SC, Khatry S, Katz J, Christian P, Tielsch JM, Sommer A. Supplementation with vitamin A early in life and subsequent risk of asthma. Eur Respir J 2011;38:1310-9.
- Checkley W, West KP Jr, Wise RA, Baldwin MR, Wu L, LeClerq SC, Christian P, Katz J, Tielsch JM, Khatry S, Sommer A. Effects of maternal vitamin A supplementation on lung function in preadolescent offspring: A follow-up study of a randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled trial cohort in rural Nepal. N Engl J Med 2010;362:1784-94.
- Dasenbrook EC, Checkley W, Merlo CA, Konstan MW, Lechtzin N, Boyle MP. Association between respiratory tract methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus and survival in cystic fibrosis. JAMA 2010;303:2386-92.
- Checkley W, Gilman RH, Black RE, Epstein LD, Cabrera L, Sterling CR, Moulton LH. Effects of water and sanitation on childhood health in a poor Peruvian peri-urban community. Lancet 2004; 363:112-118.
- Checkley W, Epstein LD, Gilman RH, Figueroa D, Cama RI, Patz J, Black RE. Effects of El Niño phenomenon and ambient temperature on hospital admissions for diarrheal diseases in Peruvian children. Lancet 2000; 355: 442-450.
- Madico G, Gilman RH, Checkley W, Cabrera L, Kohlstadt I, Kacena K, Diaz J, Black RE. Community infection ratio as an indicator for tuberculosis control. Lancet 1995; 345: 416-419.