Suzanne Pollard, PhD MSPH
Dr. Pollard is an Instructor of Medicine in the Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. Her research focuses primarily on the epidemiology of chronic lung diseases in low- and middleincome countries, with additional interests in mixed methods study designs and implementation science. Dr. Pollard has conducted research in environmental assessments and cardiopulmonary effects of household air pollution in rural Peru, as well as the relationship between nutritional factors and asthma in peri-urban communities of Peru. She has ongoing global health research projects documenting disparities in healthcare access and implementation of evidence-based interventions and self-management practices for non-communicable diseases in LMIC settings.
- Painschab MS, Davila-Roman VG, Gilman RH, Vasquez-Villar AD, Pollard SL, Wise RA, Miranda JJ, Checkley W. Biomass fuel smoke exposure is associated with increased carotid artery intima-media thickness and higher prevalence of atherosclerotic plaque. Heart 2013 Jul;99(14):984-91.
- Pollard SL, Mathai M, Walker N. Estimating the impact of interventions on cause-specific maternal mortality: a Delphi approach. BMC Public Health 2013;13(Suppl 3):S12.
- Pollard SL, Williams DL, Breysse PN, Baron PA, Grajeda LM, Gilman RH, Miranda JJ, Checkley W. A cross-sectional study of determinants of indoor environmental exposures and associated cardiopulmonary outcomes in households with and without chronic exposure to biomass fuel smoke. Environ Health 2014 Mar 24;13(1):21.
- Checkley W, Robinson CL, Baumann LM, Hansel NN, Romero K, Pollard SL, Wise RA, Gilman RH, Mougey E, Lima J. 25-hydroxy vitamin D levels are associated with childhood asthma in a population-based study in Peru. Clin Exp Allergy 2015 Jan;45(1):273-82.
- Pollard SL, Zachary DA, Wingert K, Booker SS, Surkan PJ. Family and community influence on diabetes-related dietary change in a low-income, urban neighborhood. Diabetes Educator 2014 Jul/Aug;40(4).
- Tomaino K, Romero K, Robinson CL, Bauman LM, Hansel NN, Pollard SL, Wise RA, Gilman RH, Mougey E, Lima JJ, Checkley W. Association between 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels and blood pressure among children in two resource-limited settings in Peru[SP1] . Am J Hypertens 2015 Aug;28(8):1017-23.
- Pollard SL, Malpica T, Friberg I, Fischer-Walker C, Ashraf S, Walker N. Estimating the herd immunity effect of rotavirus vaccine. Vaccine 2015 July, 33(32): 3795-3800.
- Anderson Steeves E, Johnson KA, Pollard SL, Jones-Smith J, Pollack K, Lindstrom-Johnson S, Hopkins L, Gittelsohn J. Social influences on eating and physical activity behaviors of urban, minority youth. Public Health Nutr 2016 Aug; 5: 1-11.
- Checkley W, Pollard SL, Siddharthan T, Babu GR, Thakur M, Miele CH, Van Schayck O. Managing threats to respiratory health in urban slums. Lancet Respir Med 2016 Oct 16 [Online First].
- Checkley W, Deza MP, Klawitter J, Romero KM, Klawitter J, Pollard SL, Wise R, Christians U, Hansel NN. Identifying biomarkers for asthma diagnosis with a non-targeted metabolomics panel of inflammatory molecules. Respir Med 2016 Dec; 121: 59-66.