Robert Gilman, MD DMTH
Robert Gilman is Professor of International Health at the Johns Hopkins University and Research Professor at the Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia in Lima, Peru. He was awarded the 2007 Ben Kean award for Training in Tropical Medicine, presented by the American Society of Tropical Medicine every three years. He was awarded an honorary PhD degree by San Marcos University in 2008. His main areas of research include Helicobacter pylori, gastric cancer and genotyping, diseases of high altitude, sexual behavior and STDs, cysticercosis, Chagas disease, and tuberculosis. He has over 442 peer reviewed articles and is a director of the Institutes of Tropical Medicine at the JHSPH. Dr. Gilman has a long history of training young investigators from the United States, Peru, and Bolivia.
- Moore DA, Evans CA, Gilman RH, Caviedes L, Coronel J, Vivar A, Sanchez E, Pinedo Y, Saravia JC, Salazar C, Oberhelman R, Hollm-Delgado MG, LaChira D, Escombe AR, Friedland JS. Microscopic-observation drug-susceptibility assay for the diagnosis of TB. N Engl J Med. 2006 Oct 12;355(15):1539-50.
- Nash TE, Singh G, White AC, Rajshekhar V, Loeb JA, Proano JV, Takayanagui OM, Gonzalez AE, Butman JA, DeGiorgio C, Del Brutto OH, Delgado-Escueta A, Evans CA, Gilman RH, Martinez SM, Medina MT, Pretell EJ, Teale J, Garcia HH. Treatment of neurocysticercosis: current status and future research needs. Neurology. 2006 Oct 10;67(7):1120-7.
- Eza D, Cerrillo G, Moore DA, Castro C, Ticona E, Morales D, Cabanillas J, Barrantes F, Alfaro A, Benavides A, Rafael A, Valladares G, Arevalo F, Evans CA, Gilman RH. Postmortem findings and opportunistic infections in HIV-positive patients from a public hospital in Peru. Pathol Res Pract. 2006 Sep 14.
- Torres-Slimming PA, Mundaca CC, Moran M, Quispe J, Colina O, Bacon DJ, Lescano AG, Gilman RH, Blazes DL. Outbreak of cyclosporiasis at a naval base in Lima, Peru. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2006 Sep;75(3):546-8.
- Ganoza CA, Matthias MA, Collins-Richards D, Brouwer KC, Cunningham CB, Segura ER, Gilman RH, Gotuzzo E, Vinetz JM. Determining Risk for Severe Leptospirosis by Molecular Analysis of Environmental Surface Waters for Pathogenic Leptospira. PLoS Med. 2006 Aug 22;3(8). Pinedo-Cancino V, Sheen P, Tarazona-Santos E, Oswald WE, Jeri C, Vittor AY, Patz JA, Gilman RH. Limited diversity of Anopheles darlingi in the Peruvian Amazon region of Iquitos. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2006 Aug;75(2):238-45.
- Fuselli S, Gilman RH, Chanock SJ, Bonatto SL, De Stefano G, Evans CA, Labuda D, Luiselli D, Salzano FM, Soto G, Vallejo G, Sajantila A, Pettener D, Tarazona-Santos E. Analysis of nucleotide diversity of NAT2 coding region reveals homogeneity across Native American populations and high intra-population diversity. Pharmacogenomics J. 2006 Jul 18; [Epub ahead of print]
- Mayta H, Calderon M, Taverna J, Montenegro S, Balqui J, Campos K, Tuero I, Arevalo J, Vivar A, Gilman RH. Use of a reliable PCR assay for the detection of Neisseria gonorrhoeae in Peruvian patients. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2006 Aug;12(8):809-12.
- Saito M, Pan WK, Gilman RH, Bautista CT, Bamrah S, Martin CA, Tsiouris SJ, Arguello DF, Martinez-Carrasco G. Comparison of altitude effect on Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection between rural and urban communities in Peru. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2006 Jul;75(1):49-54.
- Finger SA, Velapatino B, Kosek M, Santivanez L, Dailidiene D, Quino W, Balqui J, Herrera P, Berg DE, Gilman RH. Effectiveness of enterobacterial repetitive intergenic consensus PCR and Random amplified polymorphic DNA fingerprinting for Helicobacter pylori strain differentiation. Appl. Environ. Microbiology. July 2006, p.4713-16.
- Ramirez-Cardich ME, Kawai V, Oberhelman RA, Bautista CT, Castillo ME, Gilman RH. Clinical correlates of tuberculosis co-infection in HIV-infected children hospitalized in Peru. Int J Infect Dis. 2006 Jul;10(4):278-81.