Catherine H. Miele, MD
Catherine H. Miele, MD, is a post-doctoral fellow in the Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. She has worked with Dr. Checkley and colleagues in Puno, Peru since 2008. She was granted a Fogarty Scholarship as a medical student (2008-2009), then as a Fogarty Fellow (2014-2015), which helped her re-establish herself as a lead investigator in Puno. She is a board-certified Internist and Pediatrician and is currently completing her Adult Pulmonary and Critical Care Fellowship at Johns Hopkins. Her research interests are in global non-communicable diseases, with a focus on clinical outcomes research. She is skilled in sonography and ultrasound-based clinical outcomes including echocardiogram, flow mediated dilatation, carotid artery intimal media thickness, and pneumonia diagnosis.
- Miele CH, Jaganath D, Miranda JJ, Bernabe-Ortiz A, Gilman RH, Johnson CM, Diette GB, Wise RA, Checkley W. Urbanization and Daily Exposure to Biomass Fuel Both Contribute to Chronic Bronchitis Risk in a Population with Low Prevalence of Daily Tobacco Smoking. COPD, 2015 Nov 9:1-10. PMID: 26552585
- Caravedo MA, Herrera PM, Mongilardi N, De Ferrari A, Davila-Roman VG, Gilman RH, Wise RA, Miele CH, Miranda JJ, Checkley W. Chronic exposure to biomass fuel smoke and markers of endothelial inflammation. Indoor Air. 2015. Oct. PMID: 26476302
- Gaviola C, Miele CH, Wise RA, Gilman RH, Jaganath D, Miranda JJ, Bernabe-Ortiz A, Hansel NN, Checkley W, Casas JP, Smith GD. Urbanisation but not biomass fuel smoke exposure is associated with asthma prevalence in four resource-limited settings. Thorax. 2015 Dec 23:thoraxjnl-2015.
- Jaganath D, Miranda JJ, Gilman RH, Wise RA, Diette GB, Miele CH, Bernabe-Ortiz A, Checkley W. Prevalence of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and variation in risk factors across four geographically diverse resource-limited settings in Peru. Respiratory Research (2015) 16:40. PMID: 25889777
- Pereda MA, Chavez MA, Hooper-Miele CC, Gilman RH, Steinhoff MC, Ellington LE, Gross M, Price C, Tielich JM, Checkley W., “Lung Ultrasound for the Diagnosis of Pneumonia in Children: A Meta-analysis” Pediatrics, 2015, Ped.2014-2833. PMID: 25780071
- Pereira L, Zamudio R, Soares-Souza G, Herrera P, Cabrera L, Hooper CC, Cok J, Combe J, Vargas G, Prado W, Schneider S, Kehdy F, Rodrigues M, Chanock SJ, Berg DE, Gilman RH, Tarazona-Santos E. (2012) Socioeconomic and Nutritional Factors Account for the Association of Gastric Cancer with Amerindian Ancestry in a Latin American Admixed Population. PLoS ONE 7(8): e41200. PMID: 22870209
- Suzuki M, Kiga K, Kersulyte D, Cok J, Hooper CC, Mimuro H, Sanada T, Suzuki S, Oyama M, Kozuka-Hata H, Kamiya S, Zou QM, Gilman RH, Berg DE, Sasakawa C., “Attenuated CagA oncoprotein in Helicobacter pylori from Amerindians in Peruvian Amazon. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 2011 Aug 26;286(34):29964-72. PMID: 21757722
- J. Sivaguru, T. Poon, C. Hooper, H. Saito, M. Solomon, S. Jockusch, W. Adam, Y. Inoue, and N. J. Turro. “A Comparative Mechanistic Analysis of the Stereoselectivity Trends Observed in the Oxidation of Chiral Oxazolidinone-Functionalized Enecarbamates by Singlet Oxygen, Ozone and Triazolinedione.” Tetrahedron (2006). vol. 62, pp. 10647-10659.
- J. Sivaguru, H. Saito, T. Poon, T. Omonuwa, R. Franz, S. Jockusch, C. Hooper, Y. Inoue, W. Adam, and N. J. Turro. Stereoselective Photooxidation of Enecarbamates: Reactivity of Ozone vs Singlet Oxygen. Organic Letters (2005). Vol. 7, no. 11, pp. 2089 -2092. PMID: 15901141